Life after the Migration PhD

This promises to be an excellent event!

Exploring possible career paths outside of academia in professional fields of migration and beyond

What can your working life look like after graduating? With the support of IMES, the ACES Migration Network, and the AISSR, the organisers launch a new hybrid seminar series titled “Life after the Migration PhD”. The series targets PhD researchers who work on migration or related topics and connects them to post-PhD professionals who have moved onto careers outside of academia. The seminars offer insight into a range of non-university working areas and function as a networking environment. They kick off on the 26th of October with a seminar by Claudia Simons.

During three monthly sessions from October to December 2021, we learn more about different working trajectories by talking to professionals in three fields: (1) research institutes outside of university (think-tanks, foundations); (2) international advocacy (NGOs, IOs) and (3) diplomacy and government institutions. The seminars are interactive.

More information and registration:

Out now: Politicising Immigration in Times of Crisis

I have the pleasure to announce that the joint article with Marco Bitschnau, Leslie Ader, and Gianni D’Amato is now properly published in JEMS. In a previous post I have detailed how we measured the impact of a crisis when we don’t know when the crisis was. Let me stress that we’re looking at economic crises, not the so-called ‘migration crisis’ or ‘refugee crisis’ of 2015 — it’s the kind of crises we’re living through at the moment, I guess.

We find evidence that claims-making on migration differs during periods of crisis, but the kind of difference probably varies from crisis to crisis. In retrospective, this feels right, as discourses and narratives on migration are embedded in a specific context. In this sense, our conclusion is that (economic) crises do not automatically increase the politicization of migration. Instead, we should probably understand crises as opportunity structures that can foster change in politicization and change in policies.

Bitschnau, Marco, Leslie Ader, Didier Ruedin, and Gianni D’Amato. 2021. “Politicising Immigration in Times of Crisis: Empirical Evidence from Switzerland.” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies. Online First. doi: 10.1080/1369183X.2021.1936471. [ Open Access]

Guess the Correlation!

Here’s a fantastic way to kill a few minutes better understand correlation coefficients:

You’re shown a simple scatter plot and enter the correlation coefficient you guess to be associated with it. If you’re close enough, you get coins, if you’re too far off, you lose a heart. There’s even a two-player mode. Basic gaming stuff, but you also build an intuition of what those correlation coefficients we’re throwing around all the time actually mean.

There’s more, though. The game also serves (another) serious purpose: Omar Wagih is collecting the data to analyse how we mortals perceive correlations in scatter plots.

CESSDA Data Management Expert Guide

The CESSDA Data Management Expert Guide (DMEG) is designed by European experts to help social science researchers make their research data Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable (FAIR). They have made available an expert guide for data management, freely (of course) on Zenodo.

Bookmark this for your next grant application, or when you start up a new project!

Roundtable on the welfare state (French)

The NCCR on the move and the NCCR LIVES hold a roundtable on the welfare state (in French, with translations to German).

Table ronde d’expert·e·s du NCCR LIVES et du nccr – on the move
Aux frontières de l’Etat social suisse : entre bien-être, mobilité et précarité

The roundtable takes place online and in Neuchâtel (hybrid)

Full details: